Short Course – An Introduction to the History of Craft & Furnishing; Medieval to Art Deco
- Medieval c.1100-1400
- Renaissance 1400-1580
- Baroque 1580-1720
- Rococo 1720-1760
- Neoclassical 1760-1820
- Aesthetic and Arts & Crafts 1850-1900
- Art Nouveau 1900-1914
- Art Deco 1914-1939
To register your interest in the course, please use our online form here
Tutor: Vivienne Laws
Vivienne Lawes is an art historian working in several fields within the art world. She lectures internationally in the public arena and within several Higher Education institutions, including the University of the Arts London, Sotheby’s Institute of Art and the City & Guilds of London Art School.
Her articles, essays and reports have been published in numerous specialist journals, newspapers, catalogues, handbooks and websites, aimed at both an academic and general readership in print and online. The subject of her current book project is themes in equine sculpture, which was commissioned by the Sladmore Gallery, London and is the subject of negotiations with a major London publisher; in late 2021 she will embark on a critique and biography of contemporary Filipino artist Andres Barrioquinto.
Lawes is also an editor and has worked with PhD students in several disciplines. She specialises in working with overseas writers and has also taught Academic English to students for whom English is a second language.
Since 2011 she has been Senior UK Consultant to Singapore gallery One East Asia and have co-curated many exhibitions of Southeast Asian modern and contemporary art in London and Singapore. Lawes was recently appointed the Head of Education for a new art fair, the London Asian and African Contemporary Art Fair https://lacafair.com/, which will launch in October 2021.
In January 2021, Lawes was awarded the Educators’ Trust Geoffrey Bond Award for Art by the Worshipful Company of Educators which is given every year to an “Outstanding teacher”.
- College certificate
- Interest in design and furniture
- No prior experience necessary
You will need to bring:
- 4 days; 03 to 06 August 2021
- Fees £450. Please apply via website to register your interest and we will contact you with further details. A non-refundable deposit and registration fee of £150 will secure your place, leaving £300 to be paid before the start of the course.
- College certificate
- Opportunity to gain material for portfolio or develop your experience in design
- Other design mainstream programme or short course