Advanced Diploma in Stonemasonry
An intensive, hands-on course offering the opportunity to learn the techniques of stonemasonry through a rich and immersive workshop- and study-based programme. The course will cover:
- Techniques of cutting and working stone by hand
- Use of hand and powered tools
- Producing drawings and templates by hand
- Marking out and producing complex stone components
- Carving & Lettercutting
- Repair and maintenance of historic stonemasonry
- Health and safety
- Level 2 and 3 diploma
- European study trip
The Advanced Diploma in Stonemasonry (Banker & Heritage) is a City & Guilds Assured qualification. This intensive, workshop-based qualification is for those with little or no prior experience, wishing to learn the craft of stonemasonry from the basics up to production of complex architectural components. Offering a thorough understanding of the craft through practical training as well as history and theory, it is an ideal route into the stonemasonry and heritage sector.
The course covers all Banker Stonemasonry units up to and including Level 3, from basic to advanced architectural stonemasonry components, along with technical drawing and setting out of masonry structures. Projects include: controlled carving such as egg and dart with its setting out, and free carving such as medieval figurative and ornamental work; lettercutting; the repair, maintenance and conservation of stonework in a safe sustainable manor. Practical and theoretical projects explore the wider context of UK and European masonry and conservation, with a study trip to Europe building an extensive understanding of the historic and modern stone industry.
- City & Guilds Assured Advanced Diploma in Stonemasonry (Level 3)
- Ability to study on full-time basis
- Completion of Maths and English initial assessment
- Commitment to and strong interest in stonemasonry
- 19 years of age, or above
- 1 year, 5 days per week (37 weeks per year). Or part time equivalent over 2 years.
- Please contact us for current fees
- Bursaries may be available
- Nigel Gilkison
- Site Supervision programme (CIOB)
- Foundation Degree Historic Building Conservation
- Heritage NVQ Level 3
- Construction Level 4
- To find out more about our stonemasonry courses please ring the College on 020 8522 1705.