City & Guilds Advanced Diploma Stonemasonry Heritage Assured Programme
- Intensive, specialist workshop and study based course
- Use of hand and powered tools
- Producing drawings and templates
- Marking out and producing complex stone components
- Carving & Lettercutting
- Repair and maintenance of historic stonemasonry
- Health and safety
- Level 2 and 3 diploma
- European study trip
The City & Guilds Stonemasonry Heritage Assured Programme is an intensive, workshop-based qualification for those with little or no prior experience, wishing to learn the craft of stonemasonry from the basics up to production of complex architectural components. Offering a rich understanding of the craft through practical training as well as history and theory, it is an ideal route into the stonemasonry and heritage sector.
The course covers all Banker Stonemasonry units up to and including Level 3, from basic to advanced architectural stonemasonry components, along with technical drawing and setting out of masonry structures. Projects include: controlled carving such as egg and dart with its setting out, and free carving such as medieval figurative and ornamental work; lettercutting; the repair, maintenance and conservation of stonework in a safe sustainable manor. Practical and theoretical projects explore the wider context of UK and European masonry and conservation, with a study trip to Europe giving a broad, rich knowledge of the stone industry.
- Specialist Diploma in Stonemasonry Level 3
- Ability to study on full-time basis
- Completion of Maths and English initial assessment
- Commitment to and strong interest in stonemasonry
- 19 years of age, or above
- 1 year, 5 days per week (37 weeks per year). Or part time equivalent over 2 years.
- 2020-21 fees: £10,500 per year
- Bursaries may be available
- Nigel Gilkison
- Site Supervision programme (CIOB)
- Foundation Degree Historic Building Conservation
- Heritage NVQ Level 3
- Construction Level 4
- To find out more about our stonemasonry courses please ring the College on 020 8522 1705.